International exchange opportunities

International collaboration and staff exchanges are a key part of the building of a successful global quantum ecosystem. As part of our commitment to international collaboration for the advancement of quantum technologies, the UK is a member of the Entanglement Exchange, a portal for exchange opportunities in quantum technology with like-minded nations. As part of the Entanglement Exchange, opportunities for international students to work in the UK or for UK students to work abroad are listed below or on the exchange website.

UKRI International funding and support

The UK is among the world’s leaders in research and innovation. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) helps it thrive by supporting UK researchers and businesses to work with the best minds, organisations and facilities around the world and is a funding partner within QuantERA.

UKRI has a number of major funds and partnerships to support global collaboration in research and innovation and has major offices in Europe and North America. Through UKRI you can apply for opportunities that fund cross-border collaborations in research and innovation.

EPSRC International funding

The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) has a number of international agreements with funding agencies in specific countries to support international research partnerships. EPSRC supports international collaboration through overseas travel grants, its standard research grants including for work placements, bilateral research workshops and funding for enhancing existing collaborations.

EPSRC is also funding early career researcher international collaboration grants (Applications close 18th January 2023) to initiate or develop new international partnerships with researchers oversees.

VISA information

  • UKRI Global Talent Visa – If you are an international researcher, with research funding from UKRI or another approved funder and you’re based at a UK research organisation you can apply for a Global Talent visa.
  • UK Scale-up worker visa – A Scale-up worker visa allows you to come to the UK to do an eligible job for a fast-growing UK business. You can stay in the UK with a Scale-up worker visa for 2 years and the visa can then be extended. You must apply for the Visa online. Please click on the link for more information.
  • Skilled worker visa – If you have a job offer from an approved UK employer and your job is eligible then you could apply for a skilled worker visa.